FUTURE OF INDY FOLK SERIES EVENTS?
Friends, we hope you are safe and well during these difficult days.
Many of you have asked about upcoming concerts at the Indy Folk Series, and the answer, unfortunately, is that we simply do not know. Due to the pandemic, our concerts in March and April 2020 were cancelled. In May we hosted our first virtual concert with Joe Crookston, and we presented an interactive online concert featuring Don White in July.
Our 2020/2021 season, scheduled to run September 2020 – May 2021 was in place by early March, and were set to announce it in May….but the upcoming schedule has not been announced due to the all the uncertaintes at this time. Rest assured, as soon as we have more information we will share it with you. Be sure to join our email list to receive updates as they are available.
In the meantime, the Indy Folk Series, along with everyone is the Arts Community, is actively seeking new ways to stay connected with you and with the music we love so much! Some of you may be wondering what you can do to help performing artists whose music brings us so much joy:
- Support a virtual concert. Many artists are live streaming concerts on YouTube, Facebook, Stage It, and various other online platforms. You can attend a virtual concert, and support them via PayPal, or in some cases buy an online “ticket.” We’ll share information about a few of those concerts on our Facebook page.
- Become a Patron of the Arts! Many performers offer their fans a way to support them directly with monthly contribution, in any amount you chose, as part of their Patreon program.
- Buy CDs or other merchandise directly from the performer’s website: direct is always best!
- Contribute to an artist relief fund, such as the Arts Council of Indianapolis emergency relief fund: www.
- And anything else you can think of!
Finally, for those who purchased a 2019/2020 Flex Pass: we know that you probably used very few of your admissions, and we will gladly honor the 2019/2020 Flex Pass for future concerts, to be announced.
We miss your smiling faces and we miss the experience of live music. Stay safe until we meet again,
Your Indy Folk Series Board of Directors,
- Joe Smiddie-Brush, President
- Phil Slates, Vice President
- Brenda Crowe, Secretary
- Joanne Smiddie-Brush, Treasurer
- Pam Greene
- Carla Koertge Cote
- Carla Slates
- Sylvia Payne
- Mark Kevitt
SONGWRITER CHALLENGE 2020 WINNERS
We are happy to announce the winners of the Eagle Creek Folk Festival Songwriter Challenge. The writing prompt was “If not now, when?” Songwriters from all over the state submitted some great music. The top five songwriters, in alphabetical order, are:
Katherine Deane Nagy
To view videos of ALL FIVE winning entries, click the YouTube link.
To hear audio of all the entries, visit our Sound Cloud page:
Congratulations to these fine writers, and a big thanks to all the songwriters who entered. Who knows, we might do this again next year.
About the Indy Folk Series
The Indy Folk Series is an all-ages listening room venue featuring superb acoustics, art on the walls, and candles on the tables. Concerts are held in the performance space at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Indianapolis, our home since the series was founded in 2001.